Devon Food Walk
Indian & Pakistani
Serving an Indian and Pakistani population of several hundred thousand people, Devon is quite possibly the best place in America to shop for Indo-Pak goods and sample the delights of these complex cuisines. The only thing more tantalizing than the colorful saris in the shop windows is the smell of spices wafting through the streets as we explore the neighborhood!
Sip authentic Masala Chai tea while you nibble your way through several popular Indian shops and restaurants for a taste of traditional Indian sweets, snacks, delectable breakfast treats and incredible Pakistani bbq. Food is included in the tour price, so come hungry!
Peruse an authentic Indian market while you learn how to shop, store and cook with Indian spices and produce. Stop by an Indian shop for authentic cooking equipment, incense and various curiosities such as a Masala dabba, the perfect spice storage box for your newly acquired spices.
Enjoy a big helping of culture with discussions of the regional variations of Indian cuisine, the history of the partition between India and Pakistan, and the significance of vegetarianism in India and how you can incorporate these healthy, incredibly delicious foods into your diet.
"She provides a wonderful look into one of Chicago's cultural gems - Devon Avenue. Shop owners know her and therefore even welcome us into the cooking areas."
The Devon Tour is a fun way to spend the afternoon with friends or family, while you discover the best of Devon Ave. and expand your appreciation for Indian cuisine with plenty of tastings. Take a sneak peek at some of the tour highlights below.
Chaat: the world of Indian snacks
Sample addictive snacks like Bhel Puri and Khaman Dhokla.
Sample Halwa Puri, a favorite breakfast spread, along with refreshing mango lassis.
Go behind the scenes to scope out the grills and tandoor ovens that turn out Chicago’s best Pakistani BBQ.
Learn about the significant role of sweets in Indian culture and what makes them so unique.
Explore an Indian supermarket and discover a whole new world of grains and flours, chutneys and spices.
Learn about the regional variations of cuisine within India, the partition between India and Pakistan, and the significance of vegetarianism in India.
Devon Tour By The Numbers
This tour lasts approximately 2.5 hours. Suggested start time is 11:00am, but you get to pick your own start time!
This tour has 6 stops including restaurants, cafes, bakeries, shops and culturally significant spots.
This tour has 7 tastings including appetizers, lunch, snacks, desserts and drinks. Come hungry!
Total walking distance for this tour is approximately 1 mile with plenty of stops to make it a comfortable walk.
Food Tour Prices
All tours are private for your group of 2-10 guests! Food is included in price.
Adults (ages 13+)
Kids (under 13 who will be eating)
- No charge for babies/kids who are not eating
Can I add more guests after purchase?
- Yes, please contact me at least 24 hrs. before your tour date if adding additional guests.
Can my guests pay separately?
- Yes, select the “Deposit ($75)” option for the “Adults” field in the purchase form. Use the “Special Requests” field to tell me how many total adults/kids will attend the tour. You can direct your guests to pay separately using my general payment form. Please ensure all the separate payments add up to the correct total based on the tour pricing listed above.
- Exact meeting location, public transportation and parking suggestions will be provided upon ticket purchase.
- Plentiful tastings are included in the tour price, comprising lunch plus many extras (come hungry)!
- Tours are kid-friendly and baby-friendly. Strollers are fine, but a baby wrap may be more convenient for you. See tour purchase form for kid prices.
- I can accommodate special food interests or dietary restrictions such as vegan/vegetarian and gluten-free. Please specify dietary restrictions in the tour purchase form or contact me after purchase to discuss.
- Tours are held rain, snow or sunshine. I’ll send you a weather forecast the week of the tour so you can plan accordingly.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Like most event-based sales, tours are nonrefundable. Rescheduling tour dates is available with 7 days notice, subject to availability.
Meet Your Guide
My private Chicago food tours are off the well worn tourist path and go deep into neighborhoods that are the heart and soul of the immigrant diversity Chicago is famous for. I won’t take you to any deep dish pizza places or hot dog joints that you can find on your own. We’ll visit the places that chefs head to after-hours, immigrant families gather on Sunday for a meal like back home, and families drive to from hours away to stock up on authentic cooking essentials. Even if you’re a lifelong Chicagoan, you will experience something new!
As a professional chef and cooking instructor that has traveled the world learning about the cuisines I love, I seek out the best of each neighborhood for tastings that I know are truly special. Because of my relationships with chefs and shop owners, you might get a behind-the-scenes look into a kitchen or taste something that’s off the menu. My hope is that you’ll leave the tour excited to come back, confident you can find what you’re looking for, and feeling like you’ve just traveled halfway around the world without the jet lag!